Monday, November 16, 2009

How can I begin to grow some tea in my home?

Where do I get a camellia sinensis plant? I'm pretty sure I live in an okay environment for it. I want to begin to learn so give me all the info you have.

How can I begin to grow some tea in my home?
IN your home?? Unless you have some serious lighting, I don't know how well that would work.





For starters, tea is a BIG shrub - 3-6 feet, or more. You be better off to plant it in a big pot, and leave it outside in full sun during the growing season. It will be much happier there than inside.





If you live in a place that has winter (colder than zone 8), then bring the pot in for the winter, or during cold spells if you don't have a lot of winter.





If you really really want to keep it inside your house, pick a southern window (assuming you live in the northern hemisphere, and not "down under") so it will get a lot of sun.





Here's more info about growing and harvesting tea:


http://coffeetea.about.com/od/preparatio...





If you're growing just for an ornamental, you might consider doing it as a "bonsai" to keep it small and managable.





Oh- and for where to get it...if you live in a warm climate - I would start by contacting nurseries and greenhouses. If they don't carry it - see if they will order it for you. If you live in the north - you'll need to contact nurseries with greenhouses (nurseries without will not have much in the way of tropicals). And ask if you can place a special order.





If you strike out - I would try mail order/online next.

C++

No comments:

Post a Comment